Monday, August 06, 2007

Quilt University

QUILT UNIVERSITY!!!
I took 3 classes this weekend, as you probably read about on my last post. The first one was all about free form piecing. Drawing with your rotary cutter, if you will. It was an interesting class, to say the least. I was WAY, WAY outside of my comfort zone! I did learn a lot, though. Here are some pictures of the things our instructor, Mary made. First is Mary with the leaf table runner we made.

This is the first thing we did. We stacked four 12 inch squares and cut circles through them, shuffled them and sewed them back together. This showed us how we would be doing our leaves.

Mary's brown evey susan quilt.

Mary's Tree

I loved the dragon flies so here are some pictures of those. The leaves we made were like the wings and she showed us how to do those too.


Mary's blue Carrots! I just loved this. Her first one had orange carrots on blue background, but when you cut one you get an opposite, so here is her opposite! Isn't the fun fur yarn she used for the tops of the carrots great?

This is how my leaf runner turned out. Then I had to choose borders. This was one combination. I ended up using the green as the first one followed by the blue and purple. I had someone take my picture with it but it was blurry: ( I will take another one later and post it then so you can see. We made "wonky" borders too.


I have to go and do some actual work for my job so I will post more from the classes later! Let me know what you think of this.

4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great! So free and liberating I would imagine...

sophie said...

Love it! Did you like working this way? I was just thinking up a project to use this technique . . . a table runner is a great idea.

dot said...

Looks like you had a good time. I might have to try some of this on my own.

Elaine Adair said...

Woo hooo - looks like beginnings of ART! Fun, fun, fun! Is this the Quilt University that has the presence on the Internet? or another kind?

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~