Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Are You a Viking?



Have you ever heard of Dupuytren's Contracture?  It is a "fixed flexion contracture of the hand where the fingers bend towards the palm and cannot be fully extended" (Wikipedia)
My grandfather and my dad both have this.  My DH was watching a TV show on the Science Channel yesterday and learned that it is particularly prevalent in people of Viking descent, Northern Europeans and Scandinavians.  The show said it probably originated with the Vikings and spread as they settled.  It is most common in men (thank you, God). So if you or anyone in your family has this you are probably of Viking descent! My grandfather could not open his last 2 fingers on either hand.  So my dad went looking for a way other than surgery to treat it.  He did some research and found that taking a certain dose of Natural vitamin E has stopped its progress.  He has the knots in his palm but his fingers are not curling.  If anyone needs the dose let me know and I will ask him.
I just thought you might like to know that you could be a Viking like me!!

5 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Very interesting. My MIL is Swedish, her hands are twisted by arthritis... at least that what we all thought. Hmmm...

MARCIE said...

My Dad has this and had the surgery years ago. His ancestors are mostly from Northern England-where the Vikings raided! I also know a Jewish man who has it. He is from New York. (ha ha).

Katie said...

Humm. I wonder where the Viking blood got into my husband's German blood. He had it too.

Jeannette Bruce said...

My dad has this, if you can tell me more about the vitamin E I would be grateful... Funny thing is that my mom is of Swedish decent, my dad is from Germany. Must have been some Viking on a raid down south.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

My grandfather had this... he was Mexican-Scottish. Wow. Wish we could have told him he was a Viking... he would have got a kick out of that!

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~