Friday, April 04, 2008

M Go Blue

Because I *know* you are all dying to see another page in my design book, here is the U of M raffle donation quilt the church ladies and I are working on right now.  It is a string quilt using only blues and yellows.  Each square represents a 7" block.  

One of my friends suggested that I write a "String Quilts of the Big Ten" book and see if I could publish it.  I don't know how you would ever do the Iowa Hawkeye, the Northwestern logo with the cat or the Nittney Lion of Penn State.  I might be able to do the others though.  I suppose there would be some licensing issues also, right?  Anyway, just a thought.  Being in Michigan I *know* could do U of M and MSU!  The ladies are already turning in their blocks.  This will be a pretty big quilt so will take a LOT of blocks.

On the more traumatic side of my life, I had to buy some new bras last night.  The last one I liked actually broke yesterday.  You know how you finally find the right one for you and you can only buy one because all the rest seem to be in size 32A which is not going to work, and you take it home and then you have to keep looking for another one and then you finally find one and if you're lucky maybe 2?  Well of course those dirty dogs that design them then change the styles so you have to start all over again!  So I was on the hunt last night.  I ended up taking 3 styles home with me.  I want to see which one I like the best and then I will go back and buy some more (as soon as they re-stock my size, because of course, I bought the only ONE in my size they had!)  Those things are pretty expensive too!  I had an additional 15% off coupon but still...more than I wanted to spend, but what are you gonna do?  

In a completely different aside, one of my friends at work is getting married (the one I made the U of M quilt for, remember?) well, some other friends are throwing her a bridal shower and one of them asked me if I would make the garter for the bride!!  I am really honored that they want me to do it.  Now I just have to figure out what to do.  I can't just say, "Here, let me measure your thigh", as they want it to be a surprise.  So I used a stand in thigh.  Now I have to decide what to do.  It needs something blue on it and I was thinking to look through my mom's jewelry and see if I can find a vintage pin to put on it for something old.  ( A smallish one, of course) or maybe a vintage rhinestone button.  Any suggestions??

I have a lacrosse game tonight and, of course, I will be getting things ready but DS will NOT be playing.  Our treasurer's son broke his hand in practice this week so her son will not be playing for awhile either.  Maybe being an officer is bad luck for our boys?  What do you think??  Anyway, I hope you all have a good weekend!!

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

For the Nittany lion, I would just do the paw. Maybe those strings could be placed in such a way to make curves....

Mary Johnson said...

Well, I'm a big fan of string quilts so I say go for it!

For the garter, I bet you could find some interesting buttons or charms in Michaels, Joann's or a bead store. When I started buying beads and embellishments - I was surprised at how many pretty buttons and fun charms I was able to find.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~