Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Should Be in Bed But...

I can't sleep! So I thought I would blog. I don't like this spring ahead deal. I'm ok in the fall but now it is difficult. I want to let you all know that I appreciate your input into my quilt for a Veteran. I decided to go with no additional border and I really like how it came out. It is a small quilt and can be used for someone in a wheel chair or a lap or something. I used the other fabric for the back.

Veterans Qult 001
Here you can see what I did for the back. I needed just a little more width so I pieced a RWB strip in the center. I like how this came out too.
Veterans Qult 003
I also wanted to take just a minute more before I head off to bed to tell you guys that you are the BEST!! I struggled with my decision all weekend, knowing it was the right one but not wanting to leave on such a bad note. All your kind words helped me to ease into a new comfort zone and begin to heal and move forward. I took your advice about new things too and began another quilt. As I said someone I work with is expecting their first baby. They are doing a nautical theme in the baby's room. I had just seen the cutest sail boat pattern recently and thought to myself, "Self, I wish I had someone to make that for". So I cut it out, I have all the smaller boats sewn. There is one larger boat in the center and I think I will use U of M fabric for the boat so need to get that from my friend Robin tomorrow at work. So all in all I sewed 18 boats today! One of the best parts is that I used fabric totally from my stash to make this quilt!

My DH and I are working on a new budget in preparation for retirement (YIPEE). This means some serious belt tightening to eliminate all debt except for the mortgage. We hope to be debt free in another 4 years if we can stick to the plan. I think I will be shopping the stash more frequently now! Anyone else out there working on something like this too? Any pointers (besides the obvious, don't spend money and pay off your credit cards). Any books or resources you might recommend? Well off to bed with me, have a pleasant evening!

7 comments:

Allie said...

I HATE the time change. Takes me weeks to recuperate, both times.

Pam, I love how that quilt turned out - front and back. Excellent job. I can't wait to see the baby quilt - too funny, I just sketched up a table-runner with sailboats and lighthouses, just need to fine-tune the design and get busy sewing.

Dave Ramsey has AWESOME tools for helping you with a budget. Just google him. Your library might even have his materials.

dot said...

Dave Ramsey, Total Money Makeover.

Unknown said...

We have been on a tight budget since the end of last year, with almost no debt apart from a small mortgage now. I cetrtainly only use stash where possible and will not start a new prject without 95% of the materials I need. We now make almost all of our own bread and grow our own vegetables on a very small inner city section.
I love the latest quilt.

Crispy said...

I love how the Veterans quilt came out!! It's beautiful in it's simplicity.

I have no suggestions for books and such but when we went through the "get out of debt" thing, I found that when paying the credit card bills, I set an amount for each one...say $200 and then added whatever I was charged for interest. It always made the balance look so much smaller each month. I can tell you being debt free is a WONDERFUL feeling...no mortgage, no car payment, credit card paid in full each month...bliss.

Crispy

Annemiek said...

Well, for starters: you eat less, that should help *lol*
Stashshopping is a good thing but every now and then you NEED new fabrics to keep the mojo going.
Love the quilt!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

My husband is a financial planner. I have lived this for 37 years. You are on the right track.

Pat

Mary-Kay said...

Your veteran quilts are great! About that retirement issue, you're on the right track because you have a plan. That's the best thing you can do. It's sounds exactly like our plan and hopefully in 4 years I can retire. And sew and sew and.... Actually I was trying to save all the money I used to spend on fabric or quilting stuff for a long-arm machine but I keep dipping in to it and it's almost at the zero mark. Oh well, at least I haven't bought all that much fabric this year. Shopping the stash!

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~