Monday, February 21, 2011

Sparkle Lives

I don't know if any of you ever wondered where my blog name came from but here is the story. My eldest daughter is called Sparkle. I am mama of Sparkle, or Mama Spark. My DD1 is very into dragons. She drew the personification of herself in dragon form. Of course Sparkle was purple.

Fast forward to her high school graduation. I asked her to draw Sparkle and I was going to use that for her graduation party invitation. Would you like to see Sparkle now? This is the enlarged version.

Sparkle 004

I had this brilliant idea to enlarge it (check) and make it into a quilt. Well, you can see how long that has taken me right, she is 25!! This is what I needed the purples for!!!!! Are you ready to see the top?? It is kind of small but cute, I think. Ok enough stalling...
Sparkle 001
And because you probably want to see the applique up close (I know I would want to) here it is.
Sparkle 003
I LOVE IT!!! I used dark purple thread to "draw" in the lines so now it looks like the actual drawing. This was totally new to me and I like the effect. So be kind, tell me whatcha' think. Wouldn't you like to know what you look like in dragon form?

Thank you everyone that sent me fabric too. It just makes the quilt~

17 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How wonderful! I just think it is the bomb. I don't think I am a dragon tho.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Amazing Pam! Great story and beautiful quilt! You are so talented!

Brenda said...

Very cool. Love how you made all those purples work together. My oldest artist daughter draws herself as a cat of sorts. Kinda a elfish cat.

Tiglizzyclone said...

Thank you for sharing this! Cute quilt. Hope all is well your way.

Jan Maree said...

I love it - you have done a great job. I don't think of myself as a dragon....but my kids don't agree! Hmph!

Vickie said...

What a great piece! You did a wonderful job!

Crispy said...

OMGosh Pam, it's wonderful!! I'm amazed at Sparkle's ability to draw too :0)

Crispy

Mommarock said...

Oh my Gosh!! That is just amazing!!!!!!! Is it a surprise for DD? I can't believe you made that embroidery!! Just fantastic!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You did a fantastic job!! How cute!

Saska said...

I think my dragon would have horns!

Love the purple..and yes, I still have a stack of them to send you (and a book!)
Saska

Michelle said...

That is COOL!!!

Rae Arnold said...

That’s gorgeous. The dark purple lines really do make it look just like the drawing. You’re both very talented!

RobynLouise said...

This is really fabulous and the dark purple lines are a wonderful idea.
Sooo glad my adult DD doesn't follow blogs as she has a dragon 'thing' going from years ago. She was even born in the Chinese year of the dragon - 1988! I'd have to make her a dragon quilt and I'm sure I'm not up to that yet so she'd probably be 50 before I finished it :O!!

Gari in AL said...

What a terrific idea. And, she sure won't be expecting it after all this time. ;-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

That's about the cutest thing I've ever seen! I love the fabrics and the dragon and the whole idea of making her a quilt like her invitation. blessings, marlene

Anita said...

It's AWESOME!!!! Like totally, absolutely, I want one for me awesome!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Oh my gosh! I love this story and I adore the quilt. You won't believe it but I love dragons too, have for years (I'm 60 don'tcha know, LOL) AND purple is my favorite color. I wish I had found your blog when you needed fabric because I love purples, I could certainly have helped out some. Thanks so much for sharing and by the way, I think your daughter did an awesome job of drawing Sparkle the Dragon. Perfect! Hugs...

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~