Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sewing With Friends

A few times a year I get together with my friends Robin and Judith at Robin's home to sew.  
We have been choosing a project and then spend the day working on it. 
 Last time it was a wedding quilt for a co-worker.  
This time they decided they wanted me to show them how to make oven mitts.  
I have been using this online tutorial to make the once I have done in the past. 
 So they printed this out and selected their fabric and we all met at Robin's house on Saturday.
  I see Skip To My Lou has a new tutorial out also for a little bit different oven mitt pattern 
and that one can be found here.  

First up was choosing my own fabrics. 
 I selected this fun fish fabric by Michael Miller for the outside of one set of mitts.
  I used fabric from The Lovely Hunt by Lizzy House to make the bias binding.


For my other set I chose these math themed prints with a mint bias binding.  
My middle daughter has chosen these colors for her kitchen (and her BF is an architect).  
Of course my helper had to check things out!


I love this math fabric!


I decided to do "wavy" quilting on the fish mitts.  
I really like how it came out and it was super easy! 
 I enlarged a stitch on my machine and it did the waves for me. 


First set of mitts completed!


Robin and Judith and I were on the screened in porch.  
Robin had a station set up for each of us. 
 This was later in the day.  
We stopped for lunch during the thunderstorm and this was when we got back to it.


Here are my four mitts finished.


From left to right.  Robin made the gold ones for part of a wedding gift.  
The couple chose Kate Spade gold dots on white for the dishes.  
The 2 fish mitts are mine.  
The French Provincial is Judith's and the math ones are mine.  


We had a fabulous time sewing and gabbing and eating.  I am excited for our next little retreat!

What were you up to this weekend?

~XOP~


5 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute oven mitts. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial.

Jennifer said...

The oven mitts are all so cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jennifer said...

The oven mitts are all so cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

It looks like you ladies had a blast. Love the mitts, I may have to add them to my to do list.

Lisa S. said...

Great sewing setup!

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~