Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Quilt Retreat

I went with some friends on a quilt retreat last weekend.  
My friend Cori (Crazy Quilt Girl Fabric Shop), my SIL Mary and two friends that I had not met IRL, Elaine and Pam (her aunt). 
 I had scheduled time at Creative Passions in Chesaning, MI.  
It was so much fun!  
We took a 5 person space (if you look at their website you can see which one we had, CP2B).  
It was located in an old church.  
We had one part and there is another part that holds 24 people but there was no one else there but us.  We brought LOTS of food and ate dinner in one night.


This was the creative space we all shared.  You can see Elaine hard at work!


Mary was working on an amazing Christmas quilt!


I decided to work on a Detroit sports quilt for my son.  
I did all the cutting on Friday for my quilt since I bought the sashing at the shop.
I had a different pattern in mind but when we got to the retreat, the owner had a version of this quilt hanging on the wall.  
The more I looked at hers the more I knew it would make a great sports quilt.
So I went online and found the pattern and thankfully they had a pdf that I could download.


On Friday we went to the Seven Sister's shop.  It is a great shop located in Carson City, MI.


We also went out to Miner's Fabric Shop, which is in a quaint Amish yard.  So cute!


I managed to get a photo of Pam as the Amish buggy was returning home!


We went out for dinner one night at a place by the river.  


Cori and I having a fun time!


We stopped at a super cute shop on Saturday that was not as far away as the first one.  
We had visited this shop previously but it had moved from Chesaning to St Charles.  
It is the Silver Thimble.  
I didn't take any pics of the shop but I did get a few photos of some cute things they had including this chair cover and that camper embroidery.



After sewing all morning and then most of the night. 
I had this much of the quilt together and just needed to put the borders on.  


I put the borders on Sunday morning. 
 I was so happy to have the top finished.  I ordered some 90" wide, gray minky for the backing.


In case you need to make one too, the pattern is called 
Ob-La-Di
by Abbey Lane

You can find it here.



Next up was to determine what else to work on. 
 I was going to bind the sports quilt in the black but decided that I wanted to see if I could cut out sashing for a second version of this quilt (non sports).  
I did not have the yardage the pattern required but thought I would try anyway.  
I managed to eek out the entire center part out of the yardage I had but not the borders. 
 Then it hit me.  
If I bound the sports quilt in something else I would have enough of the black for the borders of the second quilt!

Here is the sashing and borders all cut out for a second quilt!


I decided to make sports binding using all the team fabrics.  
In addition, I made bindings for 2 more quilts that are currently at the quilters so those are ready when the quilts come back.

Sprorts quilt
Priest's quilt
Fish quilt


I think it was a super productive weekend and I can't wait to do this again!

~XOP~


3 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Such cute things. Looks like you had lots of fun.

KaHolly said...

You were a sewing machine! No pun intended! Well.....maybe, yes. ;)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Looks like you ladies had a great time.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~