Monday, December 11, 2017

Vintage Machine

A few months ago I picked up this beautiful Singer 66 at the Salvation Army.  
The cabinet is beat up but the hand wheel turned and 
the bobbin case was intact so I figured why not try it.


I brought her home and quite literally didn't even try her out.  
Well, this weekend when we were cleaning up our living room I hauled her out and decided to see how she ran. 
 I wiped her down and looked up how to thread her (I got the bobbin right the first time).  
The threading was odd so it was a good thing I looked it up.

I was nervous to put the thin thread I usually use (Aruifil) 
so I used some Coats and Clarks on the top.  
I used the bobbin thread it came with and this is the stitch I got.  

First the top.


This was the bottom.  
The stitches are perfect!  
The light works too.  I am so excited. 
 The cabinet probably needs to be refinished or painted but otherwise she sews like a dream.  
I am taking a class next month on maintenance on my Featherweight and hope I can apply what I learn to this machine too. 
 I want to clean up the finish and I am certain  it probably needs new oil and to be oiled. 
 Can you even imagine how beautiful she will be then??


Finn was watching the goings on outside while sitting on my Treadle.


While Cole was napping on the couch.  


I just love rescuing old machines.
How about you?
Are you a fan of vintage sewing machines?

~XOP~





6 comments:

Bettina Groh said...

We have quite a few Singers ... from Featherweights on up. Bob goes to the Singer website and downloads manuals etc. He googled Singer Maintenance manuals and the first thing that came up was www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals
He , with this, has become a pro!! He says e
"exaggeration" but don't believe it!!

Bettina Groh said...

Email Bob at bob.groh@gmail.com for any other links and advice...

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I FMQ on a 66 I love it and she is a trooper I even FMQ with some 12 wt Aurifil and bottom line thread in the bobbin.

Susie said...

It is a great machine and so reminds me of the one my Grandma had and she used right up to the day she passed. I would have loved to have kept it but did not have the room at the time but it went to a good home so I know it was going to be loved as she did. Merry Christmas Hugs, Susie x

KaHolly said...

A Cadillac!

sanpiseth40 said...

I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
Thanks for sharing
ตารางคะแนนบุนเดสลีกา

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~