Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Christmas Fence QAL Top Finished

I have been a busy beaver getting this top finished.
  I learned a few things along the way too that I thought I would share with you. 
 I wasn't thinking about the fact that the lines needed to line up across from the sashing! 
 I would not be happy if they didn't at least mostly match up! 
 So here goes. 
 First I sewed the sashing on each of the blocks like this.


I sewed it to each right side except for the last block. then it was time to sew the blocks together, remember you have to match the side sashing lines so they will look like they hook together. 
 First I tried lining them up, pinning and flipping to check then sewing.






Not too bad.  Then I tried by lining them up by holding it up to the light and lining them up like this.




It also worked ok.


I got all the blocks sewn into rows next was to sew on the horizontal sashing.  I sewed it to the top of each row and one on the bottom row.


Now came the tricky part. 
 I needed to line up those little segments again. 
 I was not happy with the results from the other two methods above. 
 They were all right but not as consistent as I would have liked so I tried another way
 (sheesh, how may ways are there to do this anyway??)

First I lined the little strips up like this.


I held my finder on the spot on the top fabric and 
stuck a pin on each side from one seam through to the seam on the other side. 
 I did this on BOTH sides.


You can see where the pins go through to the other side. 
 If they didn't line up then I moved them until all was lined up.


Then I put a center pin in. 
 Then it was time to pin all the intersections and sew them! 

 I found that this gave me the best,most consistent results.

.  

Obviously, you can use whatever method works best for you! 
 If anyone has other suggestions for making these things line up 
feel free to share them in the comments! 
 I am always open to better ideas.

After I sewed the rows together, I sewed strips to the sides too. 
 I'm not sure how many I ended up using in total. 
This would also vary depending on the size quilt you are making too.
If you can't use 1 1/2 strips to make your sashing for one row you will also need more strips.
 I was able to cautiously cut the selveges off so I could use one and a half strips together 
 and that worked for each row. 
 That means I cut 14 strips to sew to the horizontal rows. 
 There were 4 additional strips, 2 for each side. 
 You will also need to cut enough strips to cut the 10 1/2" segments 
for the sashing in between the blocks. 
 All the strips are 1 1/2" wide.  

Now I bet you want to see the finished top right? 
 Here is it!

Top half


Bottom holf


Whole quilt top


So there you go.  This top is finished.  Now it's off to the quilter with it. 
How are you progressing with your Christmas Fence??

~XOP~


9 comments:

Jeannette Bruce said...

Looks great! Have fun quilting it!

Peppi said...

Wow! Its so beutifull!!

Michele said...

Great work with the matching up. That is sort of what I do. I lvoe how the top turned out.

Karen said...

Oh this turned out awesome! The cool colors really make me think winter..so great ;)

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet
effective. A lot of times it's hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and appearance. I must say you have done a fantastic job with this. In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Safari. Superb Blog!
Also visit my web site ... how to make an app

Challenge Coins said...

All the designs are looking awesome thanks for sharing and keep it up...

Brenda said...

I came for the Holiday Lane pillow blog hop but this womnderful quilt caught my eye! How beautiful! I have printed off the diretions and this is certainly on my list to do! Thank you!
hulseybg at gmail dot com

SITL said...

The designs you have shared here are awesome..Lovely colors & textures.


Jewellery Shop in Jamshedpur
Jewellery store in Jamshedpur
Jamshedpur Jewellers
Jewellery Shop in Ranchi
Jewellery Shop in Jharkhand

Luxury Villa Rentals in Tuscany said...

All the images are looking fantastic thanks for the sharing.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~