Thursday, February 11, 2016

Scrap Strings Request

I saw an amazing quilt made by my friend, Carin, and would love to make one myself. 
I first met Carin and her mom at a retreat for Margaret's Hope Chest.  
If you want to see some folks making a difference, please check out their site
 Maybe you are looking for a charity to become involved with?  This one is fantastic.  
Check out their website and read about their mission.

So PSA over, and back to Carin's lovely quilt and what I need from you, my gentle readers.

 The quilt is made up of pieces that are 1.5" wide by up to 4.5" tall.  
So the pieces could be as small as 1.5" x 1.5" up to 1.5" x 4.5" and any size in-between.  
Once you have 1.5" wide pieces you just keep sewing them into one l-o-n-g string. 
 Think ball of yarn type of  long, or roll of binding long.  
I am thinking this will be the perfect leader/ender project.  
Don't know what a leader ender is?  Check out Bonnie Hunter's post about it here.

So I suppose you would like to see this quilt eh?


From the photo you can see what I mean about the 1.5" pieces.  
Here is where you come in.  
I would LOVE it if you would begin your own string of these pieces for me.  
Don't throw out those itty bitty pieces, sew them end to end and when you get a really, really long string fold it up and mail it to me.  
That's it.  
I will then cut the long strings into 15.5" strips and sew them together to make 15.5" blocks.  
In this photo, if I remember correctly, Carin made the blocks 18", 
but I want to try for a little smaller but not too small.  

Do you think you can help me? 
 For some odd reason my scrap bin is full of purple and gray right now, LOL. 
 I just need some diversity of colors.  Please don't just send the scraps unsewn into a string.  
I am drowning in my own scraps!  
After I get home from Florida, I plan on cutting from my scrap bin many of these 1.5" pieces so I will have them ready for making them into leader/ender pieces.  

No rush, I have no time line for this.  
If I get more than I can use I will just keep making blocks and donate the quilts
.  Like to help me out?  
Email me and I will give you my address.  
My email is 
mamaspark@gmail.com

I will be posting about the latest wedding quilt tomorrow so I hope you will come back!

~XOP~


5 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

You sure you don't want a bag of scraps?? LOL I'll see what I can do for you...Have fun in FL

Ioleen said...

Love this idea. Will email you later. Great leader/ender project and a great way to use up some scraps. Enjoy your vacation.

KaHolly said...

Have a great vacation! I'll see what I can come up with and will email you for your address after your vacation!

TammyLB said...

I have lots of scraps to make some of these for you! What a fun idea! Enjoy nice, sunny , WARM Florida.. I'm in PA where it is bitter cold right now.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

So I am slightly behind in my blog reading but I would be more than happy to sew a string or two of scraps for you.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~