Wednesday, December 13, 2017

WIPs With Friends

I have been sewing like a mad woman I tell you!! 
 I can't show most of what I have been working on as they are Christmas presents. 
 I did manage to finish two baby quilt tops though. 
 I will show you those instead.  
Since I have a gazillion baby quilts to make no one will know who these are for, right?
  I am totally going off grid and making what I want to make, nursery theme be damned!  haha.

First up is the unicorn baby quilt.  
I made four paper pieced unicorn heads.  
The pattern is by Unicornharts.  
You can find her pattern here on Craftsy if you need some unicorns in your life too!

This one is my favorite! 
 I made all of the backgrounds out of metallic fabrics and most of the horns.
I was thrilled to find the pastel rainbow ombre fabric for that inner border and will bind with that too.





It is not a big quilt, but babies are not big, right?  
For the borders I used the background on the opposite corner on each of the unicorns.  
Does that make sense?  
So the background of the blue unicorn became the border of the teal unicorn and so forth.
Look how great that pastel, rainbow, ombre works for that inner border!!


Next up is the Mermaid quilt.  
You best like Mermaids and LOVE pink for this one, LOL.
The Mermaids were paper pieced.  
I LOVED this pattern by kidgiddy.  It went together easily. 
 It was time consuming, as all paper pieced patterns are, but it came together very easily. 
 I would make this pattern again.  
If you need your own mermaids, you can find the pattern here.
I chose the theme of silver and gold.  
The mermaid on the left being the gold one and the one on the right silver.  
Their tails have metallic silver or gold as does their top and hair.
  I LOVE these girls!




Here is what I put together for the quilt.  
Very simple, but the pp of the mermaids was what took up the most time.  
I have the pink mermaid background fabric in minky for the back of this one.  
As I said lots of pink! 
 Did you happen to notice the metallic stripe in the unicorn horn?  
That's what I will bind this one in!!


I am planning on doing some hand quilting around the mermaids to make them stand out a bit.  Perhaps my LAQ could put some additional batting behind them to help them "puff" out, we will see.
She is magic so you never know what she will decide to do!

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts

Your turn.
What are you working on?
Please share with us so we can be inspired too.

~XOP~







7 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, you HAVE been busy! These quilts are so sweet!

Jayne said...

I love the bright unicorns! The fact that they are paper pieced...that makes me happy! The mermaids are beautiful. They may have been tedious to make, but they are amazing!

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

The unicorns and mermaids quilts are beautiful. Though time consuming paper piecing these types of block is worth it.

Angie said...

Very cool quilt tops. Amazing unicorns and mermaids. Happy holidays!!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute quilts. The unicorns are nice, but so are the mermaids.

Lynette said...

Cute quilts, for sure. I like the mermaid fabric background. Nice to find your WIPs with friends - I'll try to start catching it next time, as I'm too late for this week. :)

Lisa S. said...

Love both of these quilts!

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~