Monday, July 25, 2011

I Actually Got A Top Finished!

Now then, Saturday was a wash but I finally got some time in my sewing room on Sunday.  DH and DS were off to an air show so I had a few hours to myself and I decided that I needed to get back into my sewing room.  I was dying to get to work on a pattern that I found on the Moda Bake Shop.  It is a Christmas Tree pattern.  I chose to use a snowflake pattern for the background instead of the white they used in the pattern.  I used a charm pack of Flurry to make the HSTs that the pattern called for.  I think making HST with charm squares is so easy.  I don't like trimming all of them though!  Here is my little pile of trimmed HST and all the trimmings!  How do you feel about trumming?
The beginnings of a Christmas treeAll the HST trimmings
I like to use my turning mat when I trim. It seems to make the trimming go better.  Do you like using a turning mat?
I got this to the point where I need the space to lay it out.  Wednesday I will be bringing it to quilting and will lay it out and hopefully sew it there.  I am planning on getting this ready for a Christmas gift.

Since this was at a stopping point I decided that I should work on something else that I had in progress so I pulled out the Dreamy Stars project.  It only needed borders for the top to be finished.  So I decided to go ahead and work on that.  I managed to get the inner and then the outer border on the top and voila, it was finished!!  Now what to do for a backing.  I found 2 really cool vintage sheets to put together and use for the back.  One was a fitted sheet so I had to take the elastic off and cut off the cut ends.  I've been stalking shopping the Salvation Army for vintage sheets, which is where I found the sheets I used for the back of this quilt.

Dreamy Stars top finished

This picture doesn't even do it justice b/c it looks kind of washed out from the bright sunshine, but it is really beautiful! As I set the sheet set down, my quilt model is showing them to you! These are the 2 sheets I ended up using for the back.
Hallie "Helping" me take pictures
So, as you can see, I did manage to get a little bit done this weekend.  Next one to knock off the list is the Jelly Roll QAL quilt.  I hope I will be able to get the tree quilt done on Wed and then on to the JR quilt.  The Ann Arbor Quilt Guild is hosting a quilt university this weekend.  I am signed up to take a class from Suzanne Marshall on Friday.  It is a needle turn applique class.  I hope my hand are going to be up to it!  I took a class from her in Paducah a few years ago and she is an amazing teacher.  I'll keep you posted on these quilts so stay tuned.  ~XOP~




7 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Can't wait to see the tree quilt done in these colors - I did one using the white, needs a tone done. The vintage sheet star quilt is beautiful - I need to thrift shop - love this look. GOrgeous model by the way. Enjoy your class.

Elaine Adair said...

Regarding my turning mat - I keep forgetting to use it! And I just finshed trimming a million HSTs. more to go, so I'll try and remember to use it.

Sara said...

Hst's are so fun,I am trying to use some leftovers from another quilt I finished last week. LOVE HSTs.

Dreamy Quilt is GORgeoUS Pam!! Can't wait to see the backing when it is all pieced together.

Enjoy your class;)

Jan Maree said...

I am looking forward to seeing your Moda Christmas Tree - I really like that pattern!

Allie said...

Ack - trimming - not fond of it and it's all I'm doing right now, lol! I like the idea of a turning mat, I'll have to look for one. Never mind - just googled it and I'm going to make my own out of a lazy susan, lol! I do have an old mat I can use. Thanks Pam, you're my inspiration today!

Crispy said...

Ooooo love the Dreamy Stars quilt!! It's so summery :0) Ahhh the joy of hand piecing, I don't have to square up hst's. I can see where a turning mat would be great for trimming.

Crispy

Impera Magna said...

I generally don't trim up HSTs... I can work around the uneveness. Don't have a turntable mat but am considering it... WallyWorld is putting some fabric/sewing stuff back in the store (why it was ever taken out in the first place is a puzzle to me) so I'll probably get it there... so nice to have fabric available locally, even if it limited in variety.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~