Monday, July 20, 2020

Mask Making

I have had several folks stop me and ask about the masks I have been wearing.  
I found a great pattern on Tiana's Closet (her simple mask) and then I modified it.  
I am going to post a step by step tutorial for the masks I have made here, using my modifications.

First thing is to make a template.  

I used a piece of cardboard and cut a rectangle 7.5" X 10.5".  
I measured in 1.5" at each corner and drew a line to connect the dots 
(use your 45 degree line on your ruler for accuracy!) 
and then cut off the corner on all 4 sides.  
Voila!  You have a template to use!  

When I do the cutting though, I always put my ruler on top of the cardboard so I am less likely to shave off some of the cardboard.  
I have had success cutting up to 8 fabrics at the same time.  
Minimally cut the 2 fabrics you plan to use, RST (right sides together) 
to ensure everything matches up.

OK ready?  

Choose your inside and outside mask fabric and put RST.  
Put the template on top of them and cut around the template using your ruler as a guide.




Time to sew!  
With right sides facing each other sew across the diagonal corner and continue down the long side to the other diagonal corner.  
Sew the other side the same way.  
Both short ends should be open.  
Remember to backstitch when you start and stop as that area will have a little stress when you turn.


After you have sewn each long edge turn the mask so right sides are facing out.
I run my finger along the sewn line from the inside to poke out the corners.
I then set the mask on my cutting mat and finger press the seams so they are flat.
Once I am sure the seams are pushed out all the way I press them flat with my iron.


Press your mask in half along the long axis.


Fold each long edge in to meet in the middle and press


Take mask back to the sewing machine and topstitch along the folded edge


Next we will prepare the area for the elastic.  
Sometimes the short edge gets a little bit raveled.
You can see that in the photo above.  
Before I begin the folding step, I like to clean up that edge. 
 I put my ruler along the short edge and trim the edge to clean it up and 
make sure both fabrics are even.
Now you will fold over the raw edge once ~ 1/4" and press.


Next you will fold over that edge again and press.  So you fold that short end 2 times.


 We are now ready to work with the elastic.  
I cut my 1/4" elastic around 7 1/2"-8".  
To see what you like best you can play with the length.
 Just pin the elastic in place before you sew it.  
Once you determine the length you like cut 2 for each mask.

 Insert your elastic ~1/4' into the casing you created.


I like to secure the elastic end by sewing back and forth 6 times over the elastic.  
If I start on the fold side that is loose and sew 6 times I end up back where I began.
This is important for the next step.


Keep your needle down in the fabric to turn the mask and continue sewing the loose fold down. 
 Sew all the way to the very end of the fold, inserting the elastic just like you did at the other end of the mask, as you get close to the end.  
With the needle still in the fabric, back stitch until you are at the stitch line you can see near my finger in the picture.


As you can see in this photo I have backstitched about 1/4" back.  Turn the mask again with the needle still in the fabric and stitch back and forth 7 times.  This time you will end up on the outside of the fold and can put your needle up and cut your stitches. 
(Unless you are chain piecing your masks, in which case you would just sew the next one)


This is what the end on the inside of the mask looks like.


This is what the outside of the end of your mask should look like.


Ans THIS is what the mask will look like on your face!
Notice you have created a flap that goes over your nose and one that goes around your chin.



 I hope this tutorial is helpful.  Feel free to share with your friends!

Friendly reminder: Don’t ever think that having a mask means you are 100% safe from the COVID-19 virus. It only provides partial protection. Practice social distancing, personal hygiene, and wear masks the right way.

~XOP~






3 comments:

Bettina Groh said...

I made loads of masks... and even modified things for my grandson and son-in-law !! Everyone in my family is adamant about wearing a mask (so proud of them all) even my 14 year old grandson!! He has been attending marching band camp these last few weeks and the school is very careful that the groups are small and that when not playing their instruments they are all masked!!

Debbie said...

This looks great. I tried to do the printer friendly but I keep getting an error message. It is possible to email me a copy of it?

Mama Spark said...

Debbie, I hope you come back and read this. I can't email it to you because you are a no reply blogger and you have not included an email address. Please email me at mamaspark@gmail.com and I will be happy to send it to you

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~