The Bow Quilt
I think I told you all that I was making another bow quilt for my SIL who is expecting a baby any day now. I had no idea what color the nursery was going to be, just that it was a girl. So I chose aqua and pink, but in those Moda colors. It turned out that the green in the leaves of the rose matched the "brown" in the baby's room (brown and pink). This is a photo of the whole quilt.
This is a close up of the bow and the space next to the bow.
And this shows the swag around the border. (you may remember this from my doll quilt "Spicy Chicken")
This is the bow on the bottom right (as you face the quilt).
These two pictures show off the exquisite quilting that my friend, Liz the magnificant, did on the back.
This is the close up of what the quilting looks like around each bow and what the block work was like in the blocks that did not contain a bow on the front.
This is the label. Funny story abut this. I used that new lavander water from Mary Ellen in my iron. I had my friend Liz embroider the bow on some fabric for me. I then made the label and wrote on it. I heat set the ink using my iron after I had sewn it to the quilt. It was late, I was tired, I had to go to the baby shower the next day over an hours drive away and it was dark. So I did it and went to bed, I can wrap it in the morning, I said. Wellll...I got up and went to wrap it when I realized that all the ink had smeared!!! PANIC set in, now what was I going to do, my beautiful bow was ruined!! Wait, i'm a resourceful person, right? I work in research where things don't always go as planned, I can trouble shoot...but I didn't want to. Like I tell my kids, no one cares if you "want to". So I un-sewed the label, cut the bow off, sewed it to another piece of white fabric, made another lable, wrote on it, heat set it (without steam) and sewed it on. All in time to wrap it and get myself ready to leave by the time my SIL that was going with me arrived. WHEW!!! Glad that is over. I gave away the lavender water and went back to plain water. I really like the spray starch but the water made my iron spit and leak and made my ink run! I think it must be that the surface tension of the LW is different than just plain water as regular water doesn't spit and sputter and leak.
Have a happy weekend. We have a quilting bee for making the Big Ten quilt for the quilt raffle this Sat. I appliqued all the centers and now we will make the blocks, and put the top together and give it to Liz to quilt. Sunday I have the Lacrosse golf outing fundraiser (I have to be at the golf course at 6am, ugh!!! Hope we make a lot of money. Then to the funeral home on Sunday with the funeral following on Mon. (My friend, Ellen, the one needing the breast biopsy on Tues, her father passed away today). Please keep her and her family in your prayers!