Tuesday, March 26, 2019

SCRAPS!

Not sure how you deal with scraps but I have been struggling to deal with mine lately.
One night it hit me.
Hubby likes us to "spend time together" at night.
This usually consists of him on the computer, the TV on and me bored.
So, I brought my scrap bin, mat, cutter and ruler downstairs a few nights ago.
I decided that I needed to cut my scraps into usable size squares or pieces.
I cut 2.5" and 3" squares, 1.5" wide strips and 5" charms.
If the pieces were larger I kept them.
If there were precious fabrics I just kept the small bits.
If I thought a small bit would work for paper piecing I kept it and put those in a bag.


Of course someone decided he needed to help me.


One of the other things I do with my scraps that are too small to use for anything 
is to make a pillow like this one.  
I buy half a yard (or so) of fleece and cut it in half. 
Sometimes it is just what I can find in the remnant section.
 Sew it like a pillow case and throw all the too small to use bits of fabric in there.  I
 also add scraps of batting that are too small to be useful. 
 Once the pillow is about 3/4 full I fold the edges under and stitch the opening closed.  
Voila! 
A floor pillow or pet bed or whatever you want!


 So far I have made three of these!

What do you do with your scraps?  

~XOP~






5 comments:

Sherry said...

With your pillows, have you found that they get "clumpy" after washing?

I have a ton, yes, literally a ton, of cut offs too small for anything else, but I have been hesitant to use them for pet beds because I was afraid that they would end up in a huge clump.

I had thought of doing "biscuits", like the biscuit quilts from the 1970's so that there would be less of a chance for clumping.

Bettina Groh said...

then what do you do with what you've trimmed into squares etc. so you can fine what you want/need?

Judy in Michigan said...

Our group makes dog/cat pillows for the local humane society. You are becoming the Bonnie Hunter of Michigan!! Proud of you. I need to do something like that with my "too large to throw out scraps". Leaving for Florida tomorrow. Will wave when we pass Ann Arbor!

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

I cut many into usable sizes 2 1/2” and 5” squares and 2 1/2” steins. I keep in labeled plastic containers. I have a rolling bin that I toss scraps into plastic bags. Brights in one and white, black, gray in another. This is my in a scrap vortex project...black and white and a bit of bright.

QuiltGranma said...

Local humane society of vet might love having these too, if your house is getting full with these pet pillows

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~