Friday, September 22, 2017

OBX Continued

The next trip was to Jockey's Ridge.  
It is a state park and there are multiple sand dunes there.  

 This was the lead up to the ridge.


These were the dunes.  
Thank goodness the day was overcast or the sand would have burnt our feet!


Such a great view once we were up on top of the ridges



The people walking on top of one of the ridges reminded me of what 
I think it would look like in Egypt.  


You can see father and daughter sitting on the ridge, in the distance.


We took a photo of the three of us on ridge too.



I thought this pinecone was amazing with all of the colors.


Next up was Kitty Hawk and the Wright Borther's Memorial. 
 This rock was the starting point for their flights and many famous aviators 
have touched this exact rock 
(Including my husband). 
 Both of the Wright brothers, Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart and Chuck Yeager to name a few.


These stones represent the first 4 flights of the Wright brothers.  
The first of which lasted only 12 seconds!


This is looking the other direction to Kill Devil Hill. 
This is the hill the Wright brothers took their glider up to work on it's flight.  
That hill is NO JOKE, I thought I would die before I got to the top!
I can NOT imagine walking up that hill carrying a gigantic glider like the brothers had to. 
 Makes me sweat just thinking about it, LOL.  
This is the road leading up to the hill and the monument.


This was the back side of the monument.  It was super impressive!


You can see this is the path we walked to get up to the monument.


While standing taking the photo of the path, 
I turned around toward the monument and this is what it looks like on this side.


We headed back to the camper after that and let the boys outside to play in their tent.


I thought you might like seeing them play in the tent too.


 Then when we came inside they were lounging about on the table and the bench.  


It was difficult to see Cole in the photo above as he is so dark and blends into the shadows.


Lazy boy Finn.  He thinks he owns the camper!


This is our daughter and her boyfriend and their dog, Max on the beach.


She took this of me when I was not paying attention.  


Beach finds.  Hubby found the one on the right and I found the one on the left.  
My daughter and I found the Mermaid Purses.


Hubby and I walked over to the other side of the road to watch the sunset one night.


The next day we got up to watch the sunrise together.


Last day on the beach before heading home.  It was a wonderful time!


So now you will have to endure some more traveling kitten photos.



Funny story.  We stopped for gas and I got out to use the bathroom while hubby pumped the gas.  
A few minutes later he was in the store at the gas station and was asking me if I had the keys.  
Well, no, why would I have the keys?  
We walked back to the truck only to find a 
certain 2 somebodies standing on the arm of the door, and we were locked out!!! 
 Luckily, the gas station let us use their phone and we have On-Star so they were able to unlock the truck and we were on our way in a matter of minutes.  
Thanks On-Star!



Finn thought his shoulder would be a good vantage point



I hope you have enjoyed our trip to the OBX.  You may consider going there sometime.  
Off season was great, just listen for hurricanes prior to traveling in the fall!

~XOP~


5 comments:

Quiltblocksandmore said...

Great photos and history lesson. Your kitties are so cute. It's obvious they rule the roost.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a fun vacation. The kitties seem to be loving it as well. Did you keep the pinecones?? 😀

Shirley said...

The Outer Banks has been my favorite beach for many years. Love your photos and traveling with your cats is so awesome! I enjoy your blog and seeing all your projects. I discovered your blog recently when I saw the Cheddar Jack pattern on Pinterest. Thank you for sharing.

Lesley Gilbert said...

What great fun you are having in your new camper - with wonderful views, setting & rising suns, history lessons, cats that behave themselves ... in one photo Finn looks like a baby Lion :)

Betsy "Flannel Fairy" Beech said...

Loved your photos! I would definitely go there if we ever go back East. The kittens are adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~