Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More on the Design Contest

I just received an email telling me I can share the progress and the process with you all on my quilt top entry. In fact they are "encouraging" us to share with you all! Imagine that! I haven't taken any photos yet but will begin tonight.

So if you want insight into my process I can begin writing about that. If not skip this post and come back later for photos. BTW my DD2's 22 birthday was yesterday and so we are celebrating tonight. What does this mean for you? Possibly no pics until tomorrow. Sorry but got to keep the fam happy you know?

Back to the process. When I first found out I was a finalist, I had no idea what the first challenge would be. Then we found out that it was 2 traditional blocks. OK, how to make something that would catch your eye and make myself stand out using only 2 blocks? Hmmm. I considered a Halloween quilt using a haunted house. Nope no applique other than the blocks in Barbara Brackman's applique book. Next? Well, let's see, they wanted it to reflect who we are as designers. One of my favorite things to design with is strings. You know I have done lots of that. At first I thought of making 2 different kinds of multi colored string stars on an aqua background. I continued to think about it and finally, last night it came to me. I will make 2 different string stars, BIG ones (kind of like the orphan star I made using left overs from the big M quilt). I have drawn them out on graph paper. I went to the library and picked up the 2 books we are allowed to use blocks from. I was kind of anxious to know that what I wanted to make was in the book! I found a different take on one of the stars that I think will be awesome for this quilt!

I also changed the color palate. Instead of multi colored stars I am going to use single colored stars. Aqua and red? orange? or green? Decisions, decisions. Can you guess which one I chose? (remember we are supposed to show who we are). I let you know when I post pictures!

3 comments:

Crispy said...

These challenges will be interesting to watch :0)

Crispy

Allie said...

This sounds impossible to me, lol! But I know you'll do a fabulous job!

Saska said...

Keep reminding us, and we'll keeping voting for you. I can't wait to see it.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~