Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holly's Mom's Quilt

I have a really especially dear friend.  Her name is Holly.  We have been friends for as long as I have worked at the University, almost 27 years.  I was responsible for introducing her to my boss and now we work together and have for about 25 of those 27 years.  We think alike, we never fight and sometimes people think we are the same person, LOL.  Whatever one of us doesn't know the other one does.  If she were a man she would probably be my soul mate, LOL.  Her life has been incredibly challenging, and not in a good way.  Amazingly she is one of the most generous, kind spirited people I have ever met...EVER!

A few months ago now, her mom gave her some photos she had taken of wildlife from where she lives.  She had transferred these photos onto fabric.  Holly gave them to me and passed along that her mom would like me to make something for her from them.  OMG...but what?  I talked about this once before but I really struggled with how to put these all together.

I finally framed each photo and then used all one color of sashing to surround all the pictures.  I didn't want to take away from the photos so decided to use something woodsy.  Then I had to figure out how to have Liz  quilt it.  I looked all over the internet.  I finally found a scene that had plants with a pond in the middle.  Her mom also loves frogs so I found a cute border of frogs.  Liz came up with triming out the photos and making the pond plants go around the photos.  Over all I like the quilting, I just wish the quilting stood out a little more.

Here are the frogs

Frogs in the border\

And the plants with the frogs

Pond Plants and frogs

More of the plants

Pond plants

Pond plants around photo

This is what the entire quilt looks like. I have sewn the binding on but need to hand turn it. I used Kona black for the binding. The back is a green, white and black plaid flannel, which I really like.

Holly's Mom's Quilt

I know it's not the best photo, but you get the idea of what it looks like right? I am very happy to be almost finished with this quilt. I hope Holy's mom likes it.  It was made with a lot of love. ~XOP~

Thanks for stopping by!  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

10 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very creative Pam. She'll love it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Very nicely done - love the frogs!

Allie said...

It's beautiful, Pam, she'll love it - what a sweetie you are to do this for her!

Vickie said...

Amazing!

Ashlawnfarms Rag Quilt Creations said...

This is a great unique piece that I am sure she will be very pleased with. What a great way to display the photos!

Deb said...

I think it's very nice and for anyone that loves wildlife, she'll love it. Nicely done!

Calicojoan said...

Wow that has turned your quilt into a work of art! Beautiful!

greelyrita said...

I think the quilting is perfect. You see the photos first and upon closer examination, you focus on the quilting. It's perfect.

Impera Magna said...

Oh how beautiful.... your layout and the quilting really add a lot to the lovely photos! Congratulations on such a great (almost) finish! I'm sure your friend's mom will love it!!!

Gill said...

Wow! I'm sure Holly's Mum will love it!

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~