Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ima Bee Blocks

I am part of a bee called Ima Bee.  
Each month we make 2 blocks for the queen of the month (sometimes there are 2 queens).  
The block for this month is called the Schoenrock Cross.  
The pattern can be found here
It is a spectacular block.  

It is also one of the most difficult time consuming blocks I have ever made! 
Now mind you I am not an expert paper piecer, but I do passibly well on that part.  
Once I got the hang of the correct size I needed to make all the pieces to fit the pattern I did better.  
I think it would be nice when you do a pp pattern if they told you the best size of fabric to use to make piece 1 and piece 2 and so on. 
 I think I would struggle less, but maybe that's just me.  
I know when I did the Geese in a Ring block once I figured that out 
the blocks went much more quickly!

These are beautiful blocks and it took me over 7 hours to make 2 of them.    
The first one she wanted a red cross in.  
The most difficult part was getting those whiteish points to form that crisp point.  
I have no idea how many times I ripped that block apart!

I was however, very happy with the kitty int he middle!

Next up was to pull the fabric for the second block.  
She wanted a dark cross.  
I broke out the Neptune for that.  
I used all Tula Pink fabrics except for the white.  
That is Lizzy House's Pearl Bracelet fabric.  
Which I am now obsessed with and *need* to buy more.  
What a great basic!

This is how the second block turned out and I have to say I really like it.  
Much more to my taste too.

I don't know if you can tell but I tried to fussy frame in the swallows.

 I was tickled to frame the butterfly in the middle. 
 I am loving the pearl bracelets so much!!

This is how they look together.

I have to say it was a HUGE learning experience for me and I am pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Next up is working on my blocks for the Vintage Bee and beginning my Swoon wedding quilt.

What are you working on?



Teresa in Music City said...

Those are beautiful blocks! Thanks for sharing the pattern. I love to paper piece and this looks like a fun one to play with :*) Your fabrics make the blocks and the little fussy-cut details are really special! (Especially that kitty!!!)

Brenda said...

They are beautiful! I am going to finish my BOM for the March frame you can see what I am doing with them on my blog. Also hoping to start sewing up the granny blocks I have cut so I can cut another wall full. Have a great week Pam!

Lisaleh said...

I LOVE pearl bracelets. Though it runs a close second to Jewels, which is Lizzy's other blender. I have Jewels in almost every colour!

Great blocks Pam!

jeifner said...

The blocks look perfect! I'm wanting to bind a quilt to for my February Lovely Year of Finishes.

dianne said...

those blocks look like bears to put together - i had enough trouble with the Geese In A Ring blocks to last me till forever ... that being said, i have been trying to draft a 5" finished aspen leaf this week - the first one was so wonky that i almost threw it in the trash ... i just finished testing the second draft and it turned out okay - just barely 5 inches, though, and no room for error ... sheesh ... designers make it look so easy!

Post a Comment

I am always thrilled to hear what you, my readers, have to say. C'mon...make my day!!