Saturday, July 23, 2022

Trick-Or-Treat Quilt

 I spoke previously about pattern testing this quilt for Meags & Me.  
I finally finished the top. 
 It is ADORABLE!  
I handed it off to Liz to quilt today. 
 I just thought I would share the top with you all. 
 If I were to make it again, if they didn't make this change,
 I would decrease the applique pattern by ~20%.  
Doing this would allow the rest of the quilt (very top and very bottom) to fit on the width of fabric. 
 I ended up having to piece it (and I am not fond of pattern matching). 
 I do have info on how I do it though that you might find helpful so will share that in a few.


That top fabric, the cameos, are from AGF Spooky and Sweeter line.
I used Lupine Grunge for the applique background.






Here is where I pattern matched on the top.
It was along the skeleton.


My favorite way to pattern match is to fold under one side and using a glue stick stick it in place to match up with the other side.
You do need to make sure you have at least 1/4" though!
I press with the iron, then open it up and using a ruler, draw a line in the crease.
If you have really good eyes, you don't have to draw a line.
I just find that I can sew it better if I have a line to follow.
If light fabric, I use a Frixion pen.
If the fabric is dark, I use a Chaco liner pen.
Then I stitch down on the line, and if the seam allowance happens to be larger than 1/4" I trim it.
MOST of the time it works really well.  
I find the glue stick really helps keep everything in place.
If you give it a try let me know.

Additionally, I don't cut 2 pieces at the same time.
I cut one to the correct size, then see where the second one needs to line up before I cut it to size.
I have been burned by cutting BOTH sides then not being able to line them up and keep my length.

If you have any tips please share in the comments.

~XOP~



1 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

Such a cute pattern and quilt! Thanks for the glue tip which obviously will work better than my pinning method (which, btw, doesn't work so well - LOL)

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~