Friday, June 02, 2017

Some Finishes and some Farming

Last week my daughter asked me to make some pillowcases for her to give to a friend t
hat she is staying with while on vacation. 
 I always dread this because I always forget how to make them. 
 Every. Darned. Time!  
This time I went to my own tutorial (which you can find here) and 
followed the directions and was successful. 
 I think all the other times someone has been directing me so I really did not pay close attention.  When I had to make them on my own, I actually *learned* how to do it.  
Does that make any sense at all??  

My daughter and I went to a local quilt shop and she chose the fabrics.  
Not fabrics I would have chosen in a million years, but she loved them. 
 She drove me home and the next day I hammered out 4 pillowcases.

The space ones are actually 3D!  
The shop owner gave her a pair of 3D glasses.  When you put them on the space fabric becomes 3D.  That was pretty cool.



Then I got to thinking that I had bought some dragon fabric awhile back intending to make pillow cases for this same daughter. 
 Her birthday was on Wednesday so since she would not be home for it, I decided to make them and gift to her when she came by to pick up the cases for her friend.

I have to say that I LOVE how these turned out.  
The fabric reminded me of the movie How to Train Your Dragon.  
The little black one reminded me of the Night Fury from the movie, Toothless.  
I loved that movie and so did she.


Since finishing the other 2 baby quilts is temporarily on hold, I decided I needed to work on the fish.
I managed to get 2 more fish sewn along with a few "water" improv blocks too!  
It is coming right along. 


Making these fish has been a challenge but they are turning out really cool!


I think I have 3 more to go before I will call it a day and figure out how to put this all together.

We have been on farm duty this week and will be again next week while daughter and SIL are away.
That means taking care of all the birds, the cats, the mice, and the fish.  
She fed the snakes before they left and he will be home on the weekend to do that again.  
I don't like the snakes.  
They would probably die if I had to feed them.  
The pea hens are laying so I am collecting them and putting the eggs inside.  
A friend of hers borrowed her big incubator to see if he likes it enough to get his own, so she asked him to come get the pea eggs to put in the incubator.  

Each day I collect these I write which pen they came from and the date.  
Her purples had stopped laying, but I have collected 3 eggs from their pen this week!


I also collected all the chicken eggs each day.  
Aren't they so pretty?  Blue, green, pink and brown!!
The one I am holding is a purple pea hen egg, actually laid on her birthday. 
 She was pretty happy to hear that they are laying again.


The purple pen is on the right and the blue pen on the left.  
The boys like to try to fight through the wall.  
This reminded me of the Sharks vs Jets in West Side Story!  
The blue male was making his way over to the fence line on the left and 
both males had their "flock" on their sides.  
Humorous how they can mimic us!


She has set up a barn webcam to watch the chicks in the barn and t
he turkey (Jocelyn) sitting on a clutch of pea hen eggs.  
If you want to watch too, (you might see me or my husband in the barn) here is the link
 Mostly you will see the chicks running around but it is pretty quiet most of the time.

So that's what I have been up to.  I am going to link up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

Have an eggceptional weekend!  

~XOP~


4 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow that is a lot of eggs! The fish are coming along nicely. Love the pillow cases. You can't go wrong with them as a gift. LOL Jets vs Sharks from West Side Story....that is very cute.

Karen said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has to look up the pillowcase tutorial every time.

Mia said...

I love this fish. Very cute!

KaHolly said...

I love making pillowcases! In a pinch, they make great gifts, especially when they have a quilt tucked inside. Your fish are remarkable and I look forward to seeing what you do with them. Ahh, chickens! I love chickens and fresh eggs. It brings back fond memories of collecting eggs in my earlier days, especially on cold mornings when I'd hold those nice warm eggs up to my cold cheeks.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~