Monday, October 20, 2008

Too much fun

Wow, I sure opened a can of worms with my last post!  Thank you everyone that commented!  I got to hear from some new people and I hope you all com back and visit some more!  I guess we all pretty much feel the same way, that we may not post our fights with our husbands or show the unclean parts of our house but beyond that we are all pretty big on telling the truth!  I think Vicky summed it up well when she said, "lying on your blog is a little like cheating at solitaire, isn't it?"  Yes Vicky, it is!

We had quilt till you wilt at the church on Saturday.  I wanted something I could put together in that time and remembered that I had all these beautiful pumpkin blocks from a pumpkin exchange I did last year.  So I gathered them up, along with some border fabric (loved the stripe) and packed them to work on at the church.  As you can see I got the entire top pieced!  What do you think??
I took this beauty home with me from work on Friday.  It needed the binding sewn on.  (I hate doing binding).  So I decided to machine sew on the binding.  Once I finished that I wanted to watch some of my favorite shows so I thought, what the heck, I'll just do a little more and see how far I can get with the hand sewing.  I finished it.  I even got the label finished!  (I had to rewrite it 3 times, but it is finished and stitched in place!  This is the annual Big Ten quilt for the Department of Pathology quilt raffle.  Tickets are just $1 if any of you are interested!!
Here is the label.  It turned out well too Third time is a charm!!  And it is not crooked, the quilt was draped over a chair and the bottom corner was drooping!
I love how the Penn State one turned out.  That cat was a bugger to applique!
I like how the Iowa Hawk came out too.  His beak was a little difficult to applique too.
I made this block.  I appliqued the Big Ten and all the symbols around the outside too.  LTW did her famous quilting too as you can see.  She quilted in what is chanted by each school around that school's block.
She also did these cool footballs all around the outside border!  Now, if you want to see any of the other schools up close let me know and I will post those too.  I took photos of each block.
Now I am going to go back to Saturday.  Remember the quilt I showed you but told you it was a secret?  Well here it is again with it's recipient, father Mathew, from our parish.  My CL's made this quilt for him (our main priest already has a quilt).  Father Matt was thrilled and asked us if he came every Saturday would he get a quilt each time?  Funny!!  Charlotte and Shirley did most of the work on this and they did a wonderful job!
Wow, who knew that DS would clean up so nicely?  He had his homecoming dance on Sat night.  I made him pose for the obligatory photo before he left.  Handsome young man!
On Sunday, I was working on my needle cases for the Christmas craft show and discovered the wonder of iron on velcro!!!  As I was diligently working on putting velcro on all my finished cases (25 of them) DH asked me if I wanted to go on a color tour and drive to East Lansing and see DD2, in the Mustang with the top down.  He was already making hot mulled cider for us to take with us.  He put it in a thermos and packed a blanket so I would stay warm and everything!!  What a romantic, huh?  Well, we did make a stop on our way to see DD, for any of you that don't live in MI this is a picture from Hell.  I know it is not what one expects from Hell but it is what it is, right?
I'm not kidding, he took me to Hell...Michigan!  Just thought you all could use a little fun in your blogging lives!  (See I didn't lie, I really was in Hell!)
We continued on our way to EL and took DD and her BF out for dinner.  Then drove home in the convertible.  I as a little chilled when we finally got home but I didn't complain!  It was a wonderful day!!

8 comments:

Shanna said...

I just stumbled across your blog and have to say that I am so glad I did! I love your college Big 10 quilt and the pumpkins are amazing! I look forward to seeing the other projects you are working on and keeping up with you!

Pat said...

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE that pumpkin quilt. If you find YOU don't like it and it needs another home, it can come and live HERE!!!

Unknown said...

What wonderful quilting on the Big 10 quilt.

Very romantic trip in the convertable. Little chilly I bet. but great company.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Wonderful picing/quilting on the Big Ten quilt!

and yes, I've been to Hell (Michigan!), too :)

LuAnn said...

I love the quilted footballs in the Big 10 quilt. Glad you were able to finish the pumpkin quilt top just in time for fall.

Sandra Evertson said...

Wow, those quilts are absolutely amazing!
Sandra

paront1222@comcast.net said...

Love your Big 10 quilt........I was thrilled to see Penn State on it....My daughter is a sophomore at Penn this year and since she's been there we've turned into real penn staters!
Peggy in NJ

Carmiña said...

Hello:
I like so much your pumpkin quilt.
Thanks for share.

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~