Thursday, March 04, 2021

Nap Blankets

 My friend Debbie, in NC was making nap blankets for her daughter's class of 4 year olds 
(and the 2 other classes). 
 I decided that I wanted to help her out by making some and also using up stash in the process.  
It takes one yard of cotton woven and one yard of flannel. 
 I've had some people ask me if there is a special pattern.  
No there is not, but I can walk you though it if you want to know. 
 If you are not interested, just skip to the photos.

How to make a nap blanket

As I said it takes 1 yard of cotton woven and 1 yard of flannel. 
 I cut off the selvages of the flannel and straightened up the other 2 edges.  
Then I straightened up the edges of the cotton woven too.  
I laid the woven down and put the flannel on top, then trimmed the woven edges to match the flannel (the flannel is always smaller). 
 Once they are all even I put right sides together and pinned all the edges together. 
 I sewed using a 1/4" seam allowance, all the way around, leaving an opening for turning. 
 I clipped the corners and then turned it right sides to. 
 Once turned I needed to smooth the seams. 
 I spritzed the seams with water and then rolled the seams into place and pressed.  
I pinned the opening shut and then top stitched all the way around. 
 Once finished I stitched an X on the blanket. 
 I pressed diagonally with the woven on the outside, then flipped it over and stitched in the crease. 
 It was not perfect, but I feel a 4 year old probably won't notice!  
Then I did the same on the other diagonal. 
 Voila!  
One nap blanket finished!
I bet you want to see how they came out don't you?  
I made two of each blanket so in the photos you will see 2 blankets and 
they are the front and back of the pair.









I only had one yard of each of these so only one blanket.  I love those robots!


So far I have made 17 blankets. 
 I'm thinking I should make 3 more so I can make it an even 20.
What do you think?

See my handsome sewing companion?
This is the view if I look through my machine.
My handsome boy has just 3 more days until our 84 days of observation are complete.
But that's a post for another day.


I have to go give plasma tomorrow morning, then we are hoping to meet our newest great nephew.  
I signed up to pattern test and it is a machine embroidery, multi hooped design.  
YIKES!
  Hoping to start that on Saturday or Sunday.  
They told me they wanted a beginner, well they got that in SPADES!

Stay posted!

~XOP~



1 comments:

Sharlyn said...

Adorable blankets! Are they for comfort? Used in class? Give aways? Why are they called a nap blanket? Glad Cole is doing well❤️

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~