Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Hero's Party

The party for Matt was last night. I even got my DH to go with me and he is NOT a party person, but he does love Matt too so we went together. I have to say I felt a little like Cinderella going off to the ball. Weird, huh? I was so excited to finally be able to give the quilt and the book to Matt. It was so nice that all of you were emailing me and telling me to have fun and that the quilt looked fantastic, thank you for that. So I wanted to show you the label after I put my stamp on it, I almost forgot to do that but here it is.
Quilt label

Now off to the ball party. When we arrived Matt was on the phone but as soon as he saw me he told the person he had to go. He came over and gave me a great big HUG!! Oh yes he did. I told him I had a little something for him and handed him the quilt, in the pillowcase. He asked me if it was a pillow and put his head on it and I told him no and he said, "a quilt?" and I said "of course". He took it out but couldn't unfold it because of his arm so his mom, Terry and I unfolded it and he was stunned! So was everyone else in the room. Matt just came over and thanked me and hugged me again. Then I gave him the book and told him all about how his quilt came to be and of all the help I had and how loved and appreciated he is. He just kept thanking me over and over. Terry wanted me to put it on her DR table, so we cleared off the table and draped the quilt over the table. Matt came into the DR with us and was thumbing through the book and he was just so impressed with all that you guys did for him. At one point he said, "people wrote on the back of the blocks?" I told him they did, because they wanted their gratitude and love quilted right into the quilt!
My DH had some elbow reconstruction a few years ago and used these little hand exercisers to help regain the strength in his hand again so he brought them to Matt and they spent some time talking about rehab type things. Sorry about the blurry photo.
Chris and Matt
Then I asked Terry if I could see the purple heart and she brought it out. So cool! I took a picture cuz I knew you would want to see it too!
Purple Heart
Then I asked him if he would hold it and let me get a picture with him. He really didn't want to hold it, very modest. He felt like he was showing off, but I asked him to please hold it "for me" and he said, "ok, I'll hold it but just for you."
Matt and Me
So now you can see me a little thinner too, LOL. What do you think?
Anyway, it was a wonderful night. Terry was the one who cried over the quilt. Here we are too, thought you might like to meet Matt's mama.
Terry and Me
We have been friends for a long time and through many ups and downs. It was a good night.

I just have to once again say a huge thank you to everyone that made a block and sent a note. You have no idea how much you touched my heart and Matt's family's hearts too. You should all feel so good about yourselves. I know it is not the same as what every military person does for us but we all do what we can and just know that it was sooooo appreciated by Matt and his family! Thank you.

6 comments:

Diva Kreszl said...

thank you for sharing this wonderful occasion with all of us!

dianne said...

sniff ... wipe ... sniff ... again, thank you, Pam, for sharing this extraordinary opportunity to do what we can

by the way you look GOOO-OOOOD!!!

Allie said...

Well that made me cry - God bless you all for making that for Matt. And Pam, you look AWESOME!!!!!!!

Kelly Ann said...

Matt stood up for his country and was willing to pay any price it...for that we will be forever grateful...and for you...could your heart get any bigger...you are truly blessed.

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Awesome report! Thank you so much!
Thank you to Matt too!

Crispy said...

I'm sniffin' and wipin' too. Thank you for sharing this, it was all so heart warming!!

Crispy

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~