Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sail boat quilt off to the quilter

Yep, that's right, I finished the sail boat quilt, pieced the back, cut the batting, made the binding and the label. Now it is ready to bring to LTW in the morning. Here is a not great photo of the finished top.

Sail boat quilt

I am happy with how it came out too. I made it for a coworker who's wife is expecting a baby in the near future. They are doing a nautical theme in the baby's room. I liked making this quilt although because my fish in the background are directional I did a lot of un-sewing! Probably more than I have done in years, actually. Also, I got the pattern from McCall's Quick Quilts and the border measurements were not correct. I need to email them with that information. Luckily they were too big not too small. Good Grief!

I had someone ask me about how I do my labels and realized I do them several ways. What about you guys? If the fabric on the back lends itself to being written on, I will write directly on the quilt. This is my favorite because I feel like it draws less attention to itself and blends in with the quilt better. If that is not possible, I will either use a leftover block (if I have one) or make one. I usually use a 6" square and sew it rst to another 6" square, leaving an opening for turning. Then I clip the corners and turn and press. I don't sew the opening shut b/c I do that when I sew it to the quilt! I did a little of both of the last 2 for this label for the sail boat quilt. I had some left over pinwheels (directional issues) so I made hourglass blocks from them and I used one of those to make a label. I sewed it to a 6" white square, clipped corners, turned and pressed and ta da, my label. I will write on the white part. Sometimes I applique something to the label too if I want to tie in some part of the front of the quilt.
sail boat label

Then I decided to work on the second block for the Jelly Roll Quilt-A-Long. I really like how it came out too. Can't wait to see how this quilt turns out!
Verna Block 2

Now just in case any of you were wondering, I lost 1.6 pounds for the weigh in at the gym on Saturday. This allowed me to stay in second place, so I won $100!! Of course we get our money over 5 months contingent on being no higher than 2 pounds from that weight. Since I am planning on continuing to lose that should not be a problem! The official weigh in is tomorrow at WW (that's the one I am posting on the side bar anyway)

10 comments:

Denise :) said...

Congrats on the weight loss and the win! The sailboat quilt is precious; it make me think of the Tall Ships that sailed into the Baltimore Harbor when I was younger!

:)

Annemiek said...

You are a sewing Speedy Gonzales! The sailboat quilt turned out beautifull and I like the jelly roll block too. I found it easier to sew than the first.
Congrats on the $100; i'm sure you'll keep up the good work!

allsewnup said...

That is one precious quilt. Lucky little sailor! Lovin' the background fab!

Carolyn

jacquie said...

love the sailboat quilt and congrats on the minus pounds...good for you!!

Allie said...

Love the quilt! I do my labels on my embroidery machine, then applique to the back - unless I'm feeling lazy, then I just write on it. Congrats on the weight loss and the win!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Such a cute sailboat quilt!! And your second Jelly Roll block is wonderful!

dianne said...

cool! i really like the idea of a lining for the name block - i'm gonna have to try that ... if i ever FINISH another quilt, that is

Mary-Kay said...

The sailboat quilt turned out great. And congrats on the weight loss. You're an inspiration to us all.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

The sailboat quilt is gorgeous, I love that blue you have used for the background. Congrats on losing weight, not an easy thing to do (and i need to do it too). I'm with Mary-Kay, you are an inspiration! xo

Crispy said...

The boat quilt is wonderful!! Hooray for the win!!

Crispy

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day so much more special. Please, I invite you to share what you think. ~Happy Stitching~